It is my belief that everyone, no matter what stage of life they are in, has the capacity for positive change and growth. It is my goal to help my clients identify and change maladaptive behaviors and faulty beliefs that can lead to feelings of depression and anxiety. In addition, I believe that therapy should be collaborative and practiced in a safe environment where there is mutual respect between the therapist and the client with goals created in a cooperative manner.
I received my Masters of Social Work degree from Michigan Sate University in 2002 and have been working as a therapist for over 20 years.
My experience includes school counseling at the grade school and middle school level and serving as a facilitator for the pre-marital counseling program (PREP) for the Catholic Church. In addition, I have facilitated anger management programs and taught classes in anger management for Okemos Community Education. A former practicing attorney, I acted as a therapist for the Lawyers and Judges Assistance program for the Michigan State Bar. I also have extensive experience in geriatric counseling.
Specialty Areas of Practice
- Relationship issues
- Anger Management
- End of life issues
- Elder care counseling
- Cognitive behavioral therapy
- Solution focused therapy
- Acceptance and commitment therapy
MSW Michigan State University 2002
Juris Doctor Thomas M. Cooley Law School 1979
- A. Sociology Michigan State University 1975
COUNSELING WORK EXPERIENCE
Mareck Family and Geriatric Services 2006-present
- Provide counseling to individuals and families facing age-related issues such as dementia, care giving, and psychological stressors related to aging.
- Provide evidence based counseling to for adults dealing with anger, relationship issues, trauma, and career issues.
Lyon Counseling Associates 2006-2019
- Provided evidence based counseling to adults dealing with anger, relationship issues, trauma and career issues.
- Counselor for the Judges and Lawyers Assistance Program., Michigan State Bar. This program provides assistance and therapy for law students, bar applicants, practicing attorneys and judges struggling with mental health or substance abuse issues.
- Facilitated classes in anger management for Okemos Community Education.
Livingston County Catholic Social Services 2002-2006
- Provided short term problem focused therapy for individuals, families and adolescents.
- Co-facilitated the Prevention and Relationship Enhancement program for the Catholic Diocese.
- Provided school counseling services for the St. Mary’s Catholic School in Howell, Michigan.
- Co-facilitated a Children’s Divorce group and a Children’s at Risk group for the Three Fires Middle School in Howell, Michigan.
- Conducted an eight session anger management program for adults struggling with anger management issues.
Intern, Livingston County Catholic Social Services 2001-2002
- Conducted supervised short-term counseling for individuals, families and adolescents.
Intern, Sparrow Senior Health Center 2000-2001
- Conducted intake assessments and cognitive testing for patients at a senior healthcare clinic.